Hi everyone – I hope you are all having a nice week! It’s a short one here because it’s 4th Of July tomorrow. I remember chatting about what we would do for the holiday weekend back in January so it’s hard to believe it’s here already. Never the less I am more than happy to see it. We don’t get as many public holidays here as we did back in Ireland so when they do come around we savor them haha! Although we won’t be in the city on Thursday I wanted to share some of my favourite things to do if you are here on the day. There are so many ways to spend 4th Of July in NYC and lots of you who are here for the Summer have gotten in touch asking what I recommend most. So, here are some things I’ve either done or have had on my list for 4th Of July over my time here.
1. Get all your friends together for a big picnic in Central Park – We did this for my first 4th of July in New York and I will never forget it. It’s super inexpensive and we even did a potluck which meant everyone brought something for the picnic so it was very easy. Sheep’s Meadow is the perfect spot to set up – such a fun day!
2. Spend the day sipping cocktails on a rooftop – There are usually loads of different parties happening throughout the city. Some do charge an admission fee but provide drinks/food etc so they are definitely worth checking out. A few that spring to mind include: Mr Purple, PHD Terrace & Magic Hour.
3. Head to the beach – No better time for a relaxing beach day than 4th of July. There are lots of close by ones to the city too. Including Rockaway, Long Beach & Coney Island. You can get to all three of these on the train. Just be sure to bring plenty of sunscreen!
4. Go on the Macy’s 4th of July boat party – I’ve been meaning to do this for a few years now. I think it usually includes an open bar/buffet and a DJ on board. Definitely a fun option if you haven’t made plans yet. You can still get tickets here.
5. And last but not least, watch the fireworks – My favourite part of 4th of July. This year you can catch them at South Street Seaport, Dumbo or if you want to watch from the FDR these are the best spots apparently: Broad Street & Water Street, Pearl Street & Dover Street, Robert F Wagner Sr. Place & St. James Place, Pearl Street & St. James Place & Montgomery & Cherry St.
Whatever you end up doing I hope you have a great 4th of July!
Chat to you all next week :)